Saturday, February 7, 2009
The A La Carte Restaurant
The A La Carte Restaurant was located between the third and fourth funnel on B-Deck, and was very grand. It had french walnut paneling, with gilt and elegant carvings. It was not owned by the White Star Line, but was a french restaurant. It was used for lunches, dinners, and parties. On April 14, 1912, wealthy Pennsylvanians George and Eleanor Widener hosted a dinner party dedicated to Captain Smith since this was his last voyage. This is the only recollection of the room, before the ship sank. As the Titanic was sinking, a 3rd class girl recalled asking her mother if she could break a window, go through it to see all the 1st class finery inside it. Her mother still believing that the ship was not sinking, told her that she might have to pay for it after wards. The room was in the middle of the place where the ship broke apart, and there is nothing left but some china on the seabed. However, you can see the panels from the Olympic in a small castle dining room in England and on board a cruise ship.