Titanic Gazette Souvenir Shop

Titanic Gazette Souvenir Shop

Titanic Gazette Souvenir Shop

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

What I Did For The 100th Anniversary of the Sinking of the Titanic

My parents encourage my passion for the Titanic. Well, last Saturday my Mother and I went to the exhibit in Atlantic Station. The experience was moving. When you walk in you're given a boarding pass with the information of a real passenger. Rev. John Harper was my character and Edwina Troutt was my Mom's. I knew from the start my person died and my Mom's survived. We went dressed in period costume with myself dressed as an officer. We almost felt like celebrities with people stopping us, wanting to take our picture. At the beginning, they took our pictures in front of green screen. We were super-imposed onto a colored picture of the Grand Staircase. The beginning of the artifacts had her beginnings which included different behind the scenes things like filters and one porthole which was slightly bent. I could imagine the porthole popping off the ship when she split. The next room had things from 1st class. When we first walked in, they had Songe D' Autumne being played over the speakers which was what I believe to be one of the last pieces played by the band. Among the artifacts were tiles. There was one that came from the 1st class Smoking Room. I could just imagine the ship's chief designer Thomas Andrews stepping on it walking towards the place of his death. They also had tile from the kitchen or what's left of it. The kitchen fell through when the ship broke apart to the bottom. There were things from an Australian passenger and some pieces of chandeliers. One of them was like the ones in the photographs of the Grand Staircase meaning it came from the aft Grand Staircase. There was a sconce from the A La Carte Restaurant. It was interesting because 100 years ago that day the Wideners had a party in honor of Captain Smith. There was a water tank by it which had dents which were either caused by the break up or the pressure down there. The next room had a replica of a boiler with mirrors on either side showing the boilers go on like they did. The room reminded me of the engineers that stayed and died keeping the power going. The next room after that had a number of things. There was a bag with personal grooming items from 1st Officer Murdoch who either killed himself or made an effort to cut away Collapsible A. There was an iceberg which was the temperature of the water when the ship sank. There was a huge model of the wreck which though unfinished was huge and great to look at. They also had one of the double doors from D Deck which 1st class passengers would walk through into the Reception Room when boarding the ship. Then they had pictures of the wreck from their recent expedition along with 3D footage of the wreck. The next area had personal items like clothing, letters, and a photograph. at the end of the exhibit they had info on people from Georgia who were on the Titanic. after we left, we went through Atlanta and passed by Baptist Tabernacle where 2 weeks after the disaster the minister, Rev. MacArthur, prayed for the survivors and the choir sang for the survivors. That night, I watched a Night To Remember which as of yet is one of the most accurate portrayal of the disaster remembering what people were doing exactly 100 years ago that moment. It was a moving experience and afterwards I felt as though I'd just experienced the Titanic's demise myself.

No comments: