Titanic Gazette Souvenir Shop

Titanic Gazette Souvenir Shop

Titanic Gazette Souvenir Shop

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Titanic Historical Society 50th Anniversary Convention: Day 5

Today was a bittersweet day.  I was sad to leave my friends and this atmosphere and go back home, but I also missed my own bed.  I went over to the remembrance service early in the morning.  Being a Reformed Baptist, I'm not used to that kind of service but it was still interesting to experience.  We sang "O God, our help in Ages Past," "Eternal Father Strong to Save," and "Nearer My God To Thee."  Rev. Demass led the prayers and sermon.  Rev. Statler also offered some reflections and did a good job singing Mary Fahl's "Going Home."  I especially enjoyed his song because it was written for one of my favorite films, "Gods and Generals."  Then we went over to the museum where we had a group photo in front of the museum.  I wish we went inside.  I would have liked to walk up the Grand Staircase one last time.  But we didn't have time as we said our good byes to some and the rest of us went over to the Applewood Farm restaurant for our final meal together.  We had a wonderful southern meal together and we were able to sit at the same table as Phil Gowan, the Trowers, Mike Herbold, and another couple.  We had wonderful conversations and then the master of ceremonies, Paul Burns, stood up and led us in singing happy birthday to Karen Kamuda who has one coming up.  After that, they presented certificates thanking everybody who played an instrumental part in the event.  Then came a touching moment with Ed Kamuda presented his wife, Karen, with a plaque thanking her for her dedication to the THS.  I don't think there was a dry eye in the room.  Both of the Kamudas deserved all the thanks they got and more.  Their tireless efforts to make the THS, Commutator, and conventions possible are noteworthy.  Then came the hard part.  We said good bye, saying that we'll see each other next year at the next convention.  I certainly hope so.  They're a lovely group of people and I certainly will make an effort to make it to the next convention.

1 comment:

Weatherbeenj said...

Hello Josh, this is off and on topic I so pose, I needed a way to contact you and I wasn't sure if adding you on facebook would be more or less creepy then asking you on here. I am Nick Weatherbee, you accepted my membership to the THS facebook group not too long ago. I have been looking for information for THS events for a long time and reading your posts on the 50th anniversary has only made me want to go so much more. It also provided me with the information I needed, there will be another event next year! I was wondering if me, a new stranger soon to become a THS member who will have just turned 18 before the event will totally be welcomed . Everyone I have talked to so far have been so nice and patient. I'm sure they will be welcoming but non the less I am wondering. Again thank you for your time, and thank you for accepting me, the wealth of knowledge is amazing. Have a good one and feel free to delete this comment whenever! -Nick (you can message me on the forum or email me here ( nickew@eastlink.ca ). If you could that would be amazing, thanks again!