Saturday, January 12, 2008
Click HERE for the first of three videos on the Carpathia returning the Titanic Survivors.
Click HERE for the second of three videos on the Carpathia returning the Titanic Survivors
Click HERE for the third of three videos on the Carpathia returning the Titanic Survivors.
Swan Hunter and Wigham Richardson built the Carpathia and finished on August 6, 1902. It was 8,600 tons, 541 Feet Long, and 64.4 Feet Wide. Its captain was Arthur Rostron. The Carpathia was a cruise ship going from New York to Gilbraltar.
one of the passengers, Charles H. Marshall, had 3 nieces on the Titanic. But, on April 14, 1912, the Titanic struck an iceberg. As the Titanic was sinking, Jack Phillips, the wireless operator, sent an S.O.S and C.Q.D., signals that were in morse code. When the Carpathia’s wireless operator named Harold Cottam got the Titanic’s distress signal, he went to the bridge and told the First Officer, Mr.Dean that the Titanic was sinking. Mr. Dean threw open the door to Captain Rostron’s cabin and told him that the Titanic was sinking. Then Rostron headed north at 21 knots and one of the officers recalled seeing him praying silently. The Carpathia had to steer around six huge icebergs. By the time they got there, it was 3:30 a.m. It took 3 hours to rescue everyone from the lifeboats. It took 4 days to reach New York. Arthur Rostron was awarded lots of medals and became commander of the entire Cunard Fleet. U-55 sent the torpedo that sank the Carpathia on July 17, 1918 in WW1. She was found in 1999 by Clive Clusser 500 Feet down and upside down off the coast of Ireland.