Titanic Gazette Souvenir Shop

Titanic Gazette Souvenir Shop

Titanic Gazette Souvenir Shop

Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Communication Across the Sea



In Archibald Gracie's account of the sinking called "The Truth about the TITANIC", He said something very interesting. He was in the water and he thought he was about to die. He was praying for his wife and his family. His wife Mrs. Gracie was staying at her sister's house in New York awaiting his return. Here is what Mrs. Gracie said about what was happening to her while the ship was sinking:

"I was in my room at my sister's house, where I was visiting, in New York. After retiring, being unable to rest I questioned myself several times over, wondering what it was that prevented the customary long and peaceful slumber, lately enjoyed. 'What is the matter?' I uttered. A voice seemed to reply seemed to say, 'On your knees and pray.' Instantly, I literally obeyed with my prayer book in my hand, which by chance opened at the prayer 'For those at Sea.' The thought then flashed through my mind, 'Archie is praying for me.' I continued wide awake until a little before 5 o'clock a.m., by the watch that lay beside me. About 7 a.m. I dozed a while and then got up to dress for breakfast. At 8 o'clock my sister, Mrs. Dalliba Dutton, came softly to the door, newspaper in hand, to gently break the tragic news that the TITANIC had sunk, and showed me the list of only twenty names saved headed with Colonel Archibald Butt (of whom actually died); but my husband's name was not included. My head sank in her protective arms as I murmured helplessly, 'He is all I have in the whole world.' I could only pray for strength, and later in the day, believing myself a widow, I wrote to my daughter, who was in the care of out housekeeper and servants in out Washington home, 'Cannot you see your father in his tenderness for women and children, helping them all, and then going down with the ship? If he has gone, I will not live long, but I would not have him take a boat'."

Mrs. Gracie later met him when he was coming off the rescue ship Carpathia. He indeed helped women and children into the boats and never entered a lifeboat. He was swept off a ship and was nearly drowned. He later scrambled onto Collapsible B. There he stayed until he was picked up.

No comments: